UFC 277: Pena vs. Nunes 2 results and post-fight analysis
Once another time, the Lioness is queen. For all of the questions about her mental state after losing the bantamweight title to Julianna Pena final wintry weather, Amanda Nunes delivered possibly necessarily probably the most methodical potency of her career. Did I say methodical? Smartly, while it isn’t an misguided commentary to say she put together necessarily probably the most methodical potency of her career, it could be additional descriptive to say she delivered necessarily probably the most brutal beatdown of her career on Pena. Nunes in no way exhibited an oz. of over-aggression, on the other hand she did take advantage of just about every opening that introduced itself. She secured 3 knockdowns in the second round alone. Inside the final 3 rounds, she took Pena down at will and battered her with punches and elbows on the mat. To Pena’s credit score rating, she in no way gave up. She persisted to crash into Nunes, taking a look to catch Nunes with a big punch. She threw up submission attempt after submission attempt, coming close on an armbar attempt inside the fourth round. However, by the time the overall bell rung, Pena was once a bloody mess. I will be able to’t say Nunes was once unscathed, on the other hand slightly little little bit of makeup will duvet up her scratches. Pena received’t be afforded that sumptuous.
While only a fool would say Nunes’ legacy was once on the line, there’s evidently the potency supplies to an already sterling resume. By the use of regaining her belt, she grow to be the main two-time double champion. Plus, the brutal manner wherein she beat down Pena eliminated the wish to see them throw down for a third time. Nunes discussed post-fight that she hasn’t been once more to Brazil in 3 years as a result of the pandemic, so it may be a while previous to we see her battle another time. Given there isn’t a direct contender someone wishes to seem her battle — in bantamweight or featherweight — an extended absence may not be the worst concept.
As for Pena, she established herself as one of the crucial a very powerful toughest women on the planet. Positive, she persisted a terrible beatdown, on the other hand she in no way gave up. She will have given in to a deep RNC Nunes had her in within the final minute, on the other hand she as an alternative fought out of it. If Nunes continues to battle until she’s 40, Pena is going to have to place together a pleasing streak previous to getting every other battle in opposition to the new champion.
Number one Card
- It’s safe to say we’re getting the fourth battle between Brandon Moreno and Deiveson Figueiredo. Kai Kara-France put up a hell of a battle with Moreno, final competitive all over the primary two rounds. Hell, he hurt Moreno unhealthy enough early inside the third to get the crowd fearful to believe they have got been about to seem a finish. Moreno recovered, in the future hurting Kara-France with a jab. Kara-France began reeling backwards, only for Moreno to land a perfectly situated kick to the liver. Kara-France dropped like a sack of potatoes, the referee fighting the battle after Kara-France couldn’t battle once more from Moreno’s apply up punches. After being awarded the period in-between belt, Moreno known as out Figueiredo as respectfully as someone has ever made a callout. Figueiredo appeared to agree to fourth battle on one state of affairs: it occur in Brazil. Moreno agreed. Now it’s up to Uncle Dana to make that happen….
- Are we at the end of the street for Derrick Lewis? The heavy-hitting fan favorite perfect lasted 55 seconds in opposition to Sergei Pavlovich. A wild trade happened, Lewis got hurt, and Pavlovich in no way let off until the referee stepped in. Lewis argued the stoppage was once early, on the other hand given he went head first into the mat, it’s laborious to blame Dan Miragliotta for fighting the movement. It will fairly neatly merely be that Lewis got caught, but it surely unquestionably fairly neatly could be we are witnessing the highest of the street for Lewis now that he’s dropped 3 of his final 4. As for Pavlovich, there’s evidently he’s a perfect ten heavyweight now.
- Alexandre Pantoja wishes a reputation shot. Most likely the most efficient flyweight inside the history of the crowd to in no way battle for the title, he were given right here out to make a commentary and did so emphatically. He blitzed Alex Perez with punches previous to snaking spherical at the back of him to backpack him. Perez fought off the choke, on the other hand he couldn’t withstand the squeeze on his jaw, in the future tapping. Given Pantoja has wins over every Moreno and Kara-France – in spite of the truth that they have got been on TUF – he has a formidable argument. He’ll be having a look ahead to Figueiredo and Moreno to finish their business if that’s the case.
- After 9 consecutive wins – along side back-to-back wins over a few former title challengers – it’s about damn time Magomed Ankalaev gets a shot at UFC gold. Sure, he’s not necessarily probably the most exciting. Hell, despite the fact that he got a stoppage over Anthony Smith, it was once as a result of GnP after Smith’s alleged broken leg proved to be a substantial amount of to overcome. However, it was once Ankalaev who broke the leg. Regardless, after such a large amount of wins, the individual will have to be getting his due sooner fairly than later.
- I get the feeling Alex Morono wishes folks to continue to doubt him. He seems to thrive on being the underdog. The unathletic marvel outboxed the additional athletic Matt Semelsberger for nearly all the night, ultimate up the eye of Semelsberger to the aim it was once a marvel the doctor didn’t prevent the battle. Semelsberger didn’t care, coming thisin relation to fighting Morono with a flying knee out of the gate for the third round. Morono recovered, arguably a success the rest of the round to decisively take a judges selection.
- I worry about Drew Dober when his post-fight career begins. The individual refuses to engage in a monotonous battle. One way or the other, one way or the other, he continues to take bombs straight away on the chin and continues to move forward. Rafael Alves landed more than his share of bombs, but it surely unquestionably was once in the end Dober’s persisted artwork to the body of the flashy Brazilian that ended the contest, a body punch losing Alves inside the early a part of the third round. It’s arguable whether or not or now not the ones two know the way to have a monotonous battle.
- At this stage, we’ve all come to expect low degree heavyweight movement to be the definition of blah. However, there’s at all times an exception to the rule of thumb. Dontale Mayes and Hamdy Abdulwahab delivered that exception for us. Abdulwahab dropped Mayes inside the first. Mayes unloaded on Abdulwahab in the second. Abdulwahab sealed the third with a takedown and LOTS of keep an eye on, on the other hand Mayes made a formidable effort to complete the battle inside the ultimate seconds.
- It’s laborious not to acknowledge the new type of Drakkar Klose. Long a counter fighter who pushes his opponents into the fence, Klose has taken a additional aggressive manner in his recent fights, with mixed results. Even if Rafa Garcia made it a hell of a battle, Klose’s aggression made all of the difference down the stretch, outpointing a fading Garcia down the stretch. It was once a excellent win for Klose and a tight showing from Garcia.
- Make no mistake, Adam Fugitt is a gamer. The newcomer took the battle to a carefully favored Michael Morales, arguably taking the main round on the once more of his wrestling and doggedness. Morales wised up by the use of the highest of the main round, maintaining his distance and opting for apart his a lot much less athletic opponent. Fugitt hung in there as long as he would possibly simply, continuing to press forward. Unfortunately for him, he ate too many strikes inside the process, in the future succumbing to Morales’ persisted attack. Fugitt made a pleasing first impact, on the other hand in the end it was once the potential of Morales that proved to be the battle’s talking stage.
- It took a bit of bit for every Joselyne Edwards and Ji Yeon Kim to warmth up, on the other hand they delivered the goods which were expected of them finally. For regardless of the reason why, the most often aggressive Kim was once content material subject material to allow Edwards to dictate the pace early on. It ended up costing her as losing the main round proved to be the difference-maker in a lower up selection. Edwards mixed in merely enough takedowns and keep an eye on at the side of her outdoor attack to narrowly succeed in the judges’ choose.
- The hype spherical DWCS products is beginning to placed on off. After opening the having a bet traces as the favorite, Ihor Potieria entered his contest with Nicolae Negumereanu for the reason that underdog. Negumereanu made the having a bet public more than pleased, pushing a difficult pace on the newcomer, unleashing a flurry of uppercuts and knees to finish of Potieria later in the second round. The win was once 4 in a row inside the shallow delicate heavyweight division. Negumereanu has the look of a depressing horse.
- The card opened with Orion Cosce and Blood Diamond throwing down. Smartly… most likely throwing down is the flawed word. Wary of Diamond’s kickboxing background, Cosce opted to battle with Diamond, wearing him out in opposition to the cage over the main two rounds previous to controlling him on the mat inside the final round. Diamond had some nice moments after they weren’t in close quarters, on the other hand he didn’t seal the deal when he appeared to provide the choice to do so as regards to the highest of the second round, giving Cosce his first win inside the UFC.